Beer market of Russia 2016: PET goes to draftThe beer market of Russia was warmed up by the hot summer, but the preparation for large volume PET prohibition has already impacted it negatively. The year was successful for Efes, MBC and regional producers; Carlsberg’s positions were virtually stable but AB InBev and Heineken lost a part of market share having focused on the sales profitability. The dynamics of big brands was determined by how much the companies were willing to keep the prices down or by their promotional activity. In this context the economy segment of the beer market and sales of inexpensive draft beer were increasing. The premium segment started shrinking due to license brands migrating to the mainstream segment.
Beer market of Vietnam: “Young tiger”Vietnam is one of the few big beer markets that continue to grow steadily. The beer popularity results from its low price, street consumption culture, and social motives. The outlooks of beer market as well as the Vietnamese economy inspire optimism, though the country is heavily dependent on export of goods. The state regulation can be called liberal, but the key risk for brewers is harbored in intensive rising of excise. Within TOP-4 there are two leaders, Sabeco and Heineken that grow at the fastest rates. The first company effectively employs its capacities, the second one focuses on marketing technologies. Almost 80% of the market belongs to century-old brands, yet the middle class and the youth are shifting their interest toward international premium that is growing taking share from the mainstream.
Analysis of beer market in China (on Russian)
Beer market of Ukraine: big three losing weightIn 2016, fast increase of excises and resulting price spike stood in the way of the beer market stabilization. Most of competition (as well as mass sorts) moved to the economy segment of the market. The biggest losses were incurred by the leading three, especially Obolon, which again experienced pressure after reallocation of Efes market share. However, one should already speak of TOP-4. Group Oasis CIS (PPB) became a strong player and competitor to transnational companies. Besides the net sales of many regional medium breweries look rather good and 16-fold cost reduction wholesale trade license for craft brewers opens up a possibility of rapid growth in 2017.
US. Point Brewery addition will expand capacity 25%
The company is completing a brewery addition in its namesake city that will expand annual production capacity by 25%. And much of that growth is the result of Stevens Point Brewery launching a line of seasonal beers in 2007 and 2008, operating partner Joe Martino said Tuesday.
The seasonal brews appeal to craft beer fans who are known for wanting to sample a variety of beers, Martino said.
"It allows us to introduce something new every few months," he said.
The expansion, to be completed by May 1, includes 6,600 square feet of new warehouse space, new aging tanks and new fermenting tanks. It will allow Stevens Point Brewery to produce 100,000 barrels of beer annually.
Since 2009, the brewery has invested about $1 million to increase capacity and improve its facilities, Martino said.
Stevens Point Brewery produced 80,000 barrels last year, including beer brewed under contract for other companies. About 50,000 barrels were Point's own brands - amounting to a 14% increase from 2009 sales.
Point's 2010 sales increase was tied to the launch of 2012 Black Ale, continued strong sales for the Nude Beach Summer Wheat brand, and expansion into Alabama and Georgia.
Nude Beach is one of the brewery's seasonal brands, a lineup that includes Einbock, Oktoberfest and St. Benedict's Winter Ale.
Point's own brands, the company's more lucrative line of business, typically account for about 60% of its annual production, with contract brewing accounting for the remaining 40%, Martino said. Before the launch of seasonal brands, that split was closer to 50-50, he said.
The brewery also stopped a long-term decline in sales for Point Special, the brewery's oldest brand, Martino said.
With its growth, Point has added three new jobs over the past six to 12 months, Martino said. The company, which also produces a line of sodas, has about 30 employees, he said.
The brewery expects its sales growth to continue this year, having recently expanded into Texas and North Carolina, Martino said. Point plans to continue to expand throughout the United States.
"We're looking at controlled expansion," Martino said.
Point is the second-largest craft brewer based in Wisconsin, according to the Brewers Association, a Boulder, Colo.-based trade group. The association ranks the company as No. 32 on its 2010 list of the nation's 50 largest craft brewers.
21 Apr. 2011