Global hop marketA local alternative to mass beer suggested by independent brewers has been successful and is now altering the global market. Beer is becoming more diversified, so transnational companies have to accept the new game rules and to switch focus to young and fast growing markets. All these processes increased the demand for aroma and bitter hop as well as their acreage expansion on two continents. However now there appeared a downward trend of alcohol consumption in the world, so even special sorts can soon turn to be sufficient. In this connection the dynamic American hop market is already facing some problems. EU hop producers have become more cautious, they are not racing to exceed the demand and look forward with more confidence, judging by the contract terms.
Hop Market in RussiaGermany still dominates the Russian market, yet over the recent two years one has been able observe a continuous success of Czech hop suppliers. Their expansion and growing popularity of hops from the United States became the drivers of supplies growth in 2016 despite the preceding modest harvest crop in the EU, as well as the factor of relative stability in 2017. In this connection, in 2017, the ratio of the varieties continued to shift towards the aroma ones, and the supplies of Magnum hop and other alpha varieties were reduced. However, the import of bitter hop pellets is partially replaced by extracts, especially from the major beer manufacturers. Total volumes of alpha acid supplies, according to our estimation, decreased by approximately 5% and returned to the level of 2015. Barth Haas Group continues dominating the hop products market; HVG also increased its weight. At the same time, Morris Hanbury significantly reduced the supplies in 2017.
10+1 trends of Russian beer market 2015-2017Despite of the moderately negative prognoses for 2017, the beer market can be stabilized soon. Yet the years of the negative dynamics have resulted in marketing being limited just to “optimization” and the art of balancing between price and volumes. Bigger supermarkets share means stronger trade marketing. These processes are connected to the majority of the described trends. At the same time, the federal brands inflation leads to searching for new tastes, sales channels and contact formats that expand the product range and diversify the beer market, but do not imply a substantial volume increase. Let us enumerate and further discuss the ten trends of the beer market we can see in 2015-2017 as well as the major event of 2017.
Beer market of Ukraine 2017In the first half of 2017, the Ukrainian beer market goes on decreasing slowly. Yet, the companies manage to compensate their lost volumes by raising prices and improving the sales structures. This results in the mid price market segment reduction while the sales of premium brands are rising. These processes are connected to position strengthening of companies Carlsberg Group and Oasis and the market share reduction of Obolon. Most of the novelties by the market leaders belong to craft or hard lemon categories.
Beer market of Russia 2016: PET goes to draftThe beer market of Russia was warmed up by the hot summer, but the preparation for large volume PET prohibition has already impacted it negatively. The year was successful for Efes, MBC and regional producers; Carlsberg’s positions were virtually stable but AB InBev and Heineken lost a part of market share having focused on the sales profitability. The dynamics of big brands was determined by how much the companies were willing to keep the prices down or by their promotional activity. In this context the economy segment of the beer market and sales of inexpensive draft beer were increasing. The premium segment started shrinking due to license brands migrating to the mainstream segment.
India. Bihar goes dry, no booze at home too: Everything you need to know
The ban includes Indian-made foreign liquor (IMFL), left out of the partial prohibition clamped on April 1.
Other than Bihar, a total ban on sale of liquor is in force in the states of Gujarat, Nagaland and parts of Manipur; as well as in the Union territory of Lakshadweep. Kerala has been implementing prohibition in a phased manner since 2014.
Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Mizoram and Tamil Nadu enforced prohibition but repealed it later.
Here is all you need to know about the total prohibition in Bihar:
Meaning of total prohibition:
1. You cannot drink liquor even at home
2. Keeping liquor at home is also an offence
3. If travelling to Bihar, you can’t bring liquor
4. Exemption only to defence canteens. Liquor to be supplied to army personnel in bottles with broken seal
5. Liquor ban to cover foreigners as well
6. 45 bar licences to hotels, restaurants, clubs in Patna cancelled
7. The state would lose Rs 4,000 crore revenue annually
8. For four- or five-star hotels, the ban means a revenue loss of up to Rs 2.5 cr each annually
9. Government to formulate a policy for disposal of 36,000 litres of IMFL available with Bihar State Beverage Corporation Limited
Penalties as per the Bihar Excise (Amendment) Bill, 2016
1. It may invite the gallows or life term and fine up to Rs 10 lakh to manufacturers or sellers if illicit liquor causes death of a consumer
2. If illicit liquor causes disability, manufacturers or sellers of illicit liquor can get 10 year or life term and fine up to Rs 10 lakh
3. 8-10 year imprisonment and Rs 1-10 lakh fine in case of damage to anyone by illicit liquor
4. Drinking at public place to invite 5-7 year imprisonment and Rs 1 lakh fine
5. Rs 4 lakh humanitarian aid to kin of hooch tragedy victims
1. The state would lose projected revenue of Rs 4000 crore
2. It had paid rich dividends as the state’s revenue figure rose from paltry Rs 319 crore in 2005-06 to Rs 3650 crore in 2014-15
Effect on manufacturers
1. Bihar has four major players in liquor trade, including McDowell’s, United Breweries Limited (now Diego), Carlsberg and Cobra beer promoted by global giant Molson Coors and Lord Karan Bilimoria.
2. The beer manufacturing unit of Molson-Billimoria at Bihta had tripled its packaging capacity and doubled its brewing capacity in 2011 onwards to tap the high demand of beer in the state due to liberal excise policy. Brands like Thunderbolt and Cobra beer are manufactured at this plant.
3. United Breweries promoted by Vijay Mallya has set up a factory at Naubatpur with a production capacity of 12 million cases at a cost of Rs 200 crore. The Kingfisher brand of beer is one of the highest selling brands of the UB. The third beer factory running is at Paliganj where Carlsberg beer and other products are manufactured.
4. The ban means that no new IMFL factory will come up in Bihar but the existing one will face no problem. However, they will not supply in the state.
5. This is a big blow for the beer firms as figures say the yearly off take of beer by liquor vends across the state till March, 2016 was around 250 crore cases (each case has 12 bottles) while the yearly off take of whisky was around 5 lakh cases (each case has 12 to 24 bottles).
6. A total of 222 liqour labels had seen sales, which has now come to a close.
7. This means, the government’s bid to shore up Rs 29,730 crore in current fiscal year 2016-17 would take a big hit as there would be a big shortfall from excise and related VAT on liquor products.
8. Though the government has kept a target of generating Rs 29730 crore with sales tax likely to earn Rs 13,700 crore ( 47% of the total tax revenue), there are chances that the collections would be far less.
6 Apr. 2016